Re: [xml-dev] Guidelines for the development of an XML language (vocabulary)

While I think that "less is more" applies to markup definition languages - I'll take Examplotron over XML Schema any day - I'm not at all convinced that it applies to the languages we create with markup.

The problems you describe here and the dreams of fixing them are the natural result of trying to create one markup vocabulary that addresses all the concerns of a community.

We dream of a simplicity that doesn't exist. We blame the subject matter experts and markup engineers for not getting it quite right. Then we curse the additions and removals as we iterate, hoping to cover the same ground properly.

The problem is simpler, though - we don't share the ground. We all see the information described by a vocabulary differently. Even situations that seem simple often reveal far more detail than their explorers thought possible.

Markup has value. You won't find that value, however, by trying to simultaneously address all needed possibilities and yet retain that key virtue of simplicity.

Thanks,
Simon