Using EXI: was RE: [xml-dev] parsing markup with Perl

The lightweight control system interface OBIX (Open Building Information Exchange)  was written originally assuming XML, i.e., fat XML.

At the request of users in the field, we have recently defined standard encodings of the underlying model, in XML (obviously), JSON, COAP, and, yes, EXI.

As far as I can tell, the EXI encodings of OBIX are used in internet of things applications / sensornets wherein extremely constrained bandwidth / battery power is the norm. EXI is not a “complete” specification in that one is faced with several choices, which one must make to achieve interoperability. The standard encoding for OBIX makes those choices.

So yes, someone is using EXI

tc

"If something is not worth doing, it`s not worth doing well "    -- Peter Drucker

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

OASIS TC Chair: oBIX & WS-Calendar

OASIS TC Editor: EMIX, Energy Interoperation

SGIP Smart Grid Architecture Committee

Email: Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Phone: (919)619-2104

http://www.tcnine.com