Re: [xml-dev] parsing markup with Perl

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:25:35 -0500
Michael Sokolov <msokolov@safaribooksonline.com> wrote:

> On 02/10/2014 08:26 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >
> >> I do just want to point out that the blog post you dug up (I did too!)
> >> was Simon's, not mine.
> >>
> > Which blog post and by dug up do you mean "found" or do you mean
> > "liked" (as in "I totally dig chocolate chip cookies."), or something else?
> > Sorry, but I sometimes have problems understanding such idioms (and I'm not
> > a native speaker of English).
> You referenced a post on oreillynet - you didn't provide a link, but I
> am pretty sure you were referring to something Simon St Laurent wrote,
> but you seemed to be attributing to me.  It's not a problem - I was just
> trying to set the record straight.

Ah, I wasn't attributing it to you. Sorry if I mis-spoke.

> I meant "dug up" as "found buried deep," i.e. in the archives.  I think
> Simon mentioned a post from 1998 or something, but maybe you were
> referring to his more recent one that started this thread, or some other
> one; it wasn't clear.

I was referring to the more recent one by Simon that started the
thread, covering various modern (or at least maintained, up-to-date and
hopefully reliable) XML and HTML parsing technologies for Perl on CPAN like
HTML::Parser, Mojo::DOM, XML::LibXML (which I should note I currently maintain,
though I certainly did not originate it), etc. I don't expect a post from 1998
to be relevant any more because back then I believe CPAN was not yet
commonly accepted, search.cpan.org did not exist yet (to say nothing of
http://metacpan.org/ ) and I'm not sure how well even HTML::Parser was up to
the task back then (and was the year when the XML recommendation was released
and before it gained a mass adoption and popularity
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML#History ). I hope non-Perl-experts here
don't feel left out from all the mention of Perl-specific technologies and
tools, but you don't need to know all that in that case.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish