Re: [xml-dev] parsing markup with Perl

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org> wrote:
>> Hi Ihe,
>>

> Hello
>

>>> (foo o bar o baz o quux o bagel) in SML?
>>>

>> I don't know SML too well, but seems like it, though having to use "o" in
>> succession may also be considered superflouos syntax.
>>

> o is the SML compose operator. Function composition is what is going
> on isn't it. So how can an operator that signifies that t be
> superfluous.
>
> Scheme has a compose operator but it is binary in its native form
> (compose foo bar) so I did not use it as an example.

Dean Wampler has a talk (Why Big Data needs to be functional) which
starts off with Java and ends up around 20:00 with compositional
Scala.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFAdLCqDbLQ

Scala was the first functional programming language   because
functional programming didn't exist before Java people became
interested in it. Still looks like OO to me.

Talk is also notable for the only funny programming joke ever told -
it comes up  in the first 5 minutes. James Iry's history of
programming languages is funniest thing ever written about programming
but I consider it to be epic comedic literature - joke doesn't do it
justice.