Re: [xml-dev] RE: Meanwhile, in XML-world

On 02/25/2014 09:21 AM, William Velasquez wrote:
Sorry for my ignorance, but this article looks like "congratulations"
to the XML Community for using the "Sound Foundation" approach to
building apps recently discussed here.

Isn't it?
Hmmm... I don't think so, but I can sort of see where that might come
from.

I see more of an ebb and flow, with things like the MSNBC one true
structure as a failed "sound foundation", then presentational chaos as a
response to that, and DITA as having a different set of options for
flexibility.

It's not as much anarchy as I usually encourage, but I also don't think
it's cheering for dry formal waterfall.

Thanks,
Simon

-----Mensaje original----- De: Simon St.Laurent
[mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com] Enviado el: martes, 25 de febrero de
2014 8:44 a. m. Para: xml-dev@lists.xml.org Asunto: Meanwhile, in
XML-world

Thought you all might enjoy this from A List Apart.  XML, still
relevant to HTML.

<http://alistapart.com/article/battle-for-the-body-field>

"While fields and templates have come to dominate web publishing
tools, the XML world has spent nearly 15 years developing a parallel
approach. Rather than chunking content into fields and re-assembling
it later, the XML community embraces fluid, markup-based documents.
To capture meaningful structure and avoid HTML's browser-specific
presentation pitfalls, they define purpose-specific collections of
markup tags for different projects and applications. It's a versatile
approach that has crossed paths with the web publishing world: the
XHTML standard is just HTML, defined as an XML schema.

The Darwin Information Typing Architecture standard-better known as
DITA-is a mature example of this approach. Developed by IBM and
announced in 2001, DITA was shaped by the technical documentation
community."

Of course, it's not just a "let's use DITA" article:

"The good news is we don't have to convert all our projects to XML to
learn from those communities' accumulated wisdom. While the
toolchains that have been built around those approaches are a tough
fit for today's mature web development tools and workflows, we can
use their principles in our projects."

Thanks, Simon St.Laurent http://simonstl.com