RE: [xml-dev] RFC for XML Object Parsing

Amy,

SAX should be calling all your handlers in the order that they appear in the XML, what folks do in thier handlers in their business.  Why should the SAX calls come out of order?  SAX does not pre-read them into a list then feed them to the application programmer.

For writing, it may vary from one implementation to another, as I said.  Regardless, this does not create a crisis for anybody.  The "oid" can be ignored at any level as unwanted 'extra' data.  Ignoring it is easy.  Acting on it is a choice, at a very low level, a choice that opens up new possibilities.

The reason it is first, is because the only way we can parse directly to the intended destination is if we can find it first.  If we were to support this optimization with "oid" in the 2nd position, where would we put data until we knew where to put it - or implemented another way, should we parse all the attributes to discover that there is no "oid"? then we would have to back up and reparse if we found it, because now we have a destination.  It's first because it's most streamlined that way, and that is after all the whole purpose of the whole idea.  It was a good question and I hope that this explains it.

Brian