Re: [xml-dev] Build applications using the "simplicity stack"

On 2 Apr 2014, at 03:29, Michael Sokolov <msokolov@safaribooksonline.com> wrote:

> Together with the constant churn of new systems, tools, methods, vocabularies, and industries supplanting, or at the least overlaying, the old ones, which may have been around only for a few years.  Force of habit is dangerous in an industry that values innovation above as the cardinal virtue.  My experience has more often been the need to continually adapt to new and unfamiliar tools.  As soon as I become comfortable with a set of tools, it is a pretty good sign they are on the way to being, if not obsolete, then unmarketable.

But I suspect the point where tools become unfashionable is probably about 3-5 years before peak usage. Just as we wear the clothes we find comfortable rather than the things the fashion industry is touting, so it is with software tools. Everyone carries on using what they know, they just don't like admitting it in public.

Michael Kay
Saxonica