To: <simonstl@simonstl.com>; <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2014 2:46 AM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] in which I surrender a 15-year-old argument (transforming the Web)

At 2014-04-01 17:24 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
I'm not sure Ken Holman will celebrate, given that the transformation
layer lately is mostly amalgams of JavaScript. It does seem like yes,
though, transformation is rapidly becoming more important as the tasks
people perform on the Web become more complex.
Even today, XSLT remains a steep climb for most web developers.
Client-side XSLT never found widespread support (though Saxon-CE and
Frameless are well worth exploring). XSLT remains alien to most web
developers.
Sad but true. And there has been a big drop-off on instructor-led training, as few are willing to pay for their staff to learn.

Instead, we keep reinventing transformation with more familiar tools,
often JavaScript tools. Few of these tools aim for the completeness or
complexity of XSLT. Unfortunately, though, these tools are fragmented
across many different communities (for frameworks) and people building
their own versions.
While patterns may begin to emerge, I doubt we will see corporate investment in piecemeal solutions. Then again, perhaps the reason I and others are not getting any training work is that any such solution, standard or not, is never seen as a corporate asset.

And if that is true, then a standardized solution is irrelevant to supporting what I think are important corporate issues such as continuity: if my developer leaves, will the newly-hired developer know the technology I'm using?

But is that a chicken-and-egg problem of getting true skills (not hacks) in the general work force?

An interesting post, Simon, thank you.

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL & code list classes: Melbourne, AU May 2014 |
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |

---