Re: [xml-dev] XMD, Markdown with an XML target

On Thu, 29 May 2014 10:57:25 -0400
Wendell Piez <wapiez@wendellpiez.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Take a look at
> http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/vol10/html/Pemberton01/BalisageVol10-Pemberton01.html
>
> Is Steven Pemberton on this channel? This work is brilliant. (This is
> a way of saying I want one.)
>
> Cheers, Wendell

Thanks Wendell. I've not heard Steve Pemberton on this list, though he
may monitor. Do you know if he's implemented this?

That piece seems appropriate insofar as it is a plain text to XML,
though the source, as CSS is *slightly* more structured than MD.
[Why do people get so het up about round tripping?]
I'm pondering the implications of inline MD markup vs the block based
CSS  model presented? He demonstrates processing blocks with a property
list.

css: (rule)*.
rule: selector, block.
block: "{", (property)*";", "}".
property:  name, ":", value; .
name: ...
value: ...

I don't see immediately how inlines might be introduced.

I had been looking at
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Markdown gives a robust MD with HTML
target. I've been looking at their approach, though the HTML is pretty
well embedded.

Thanks Wendell.