Re: [xml-dev] Xqib

Hi,

Stephen is right, it is no longer maintained unfortunately, for lack
of resources. XQIB was meant as a proof a concept, showing (i) that it
is feasible to use a standard, declarative, functional language that
natively supports XML/JSON/HTML DOM as an alternative to (imperative)
JavaScript and (ii) that it considerably reduces the complexity of the
code. It is actually nice to notice that jQuery, which also does a
great job at that, has a navigation syntax that has similarities with
XPath, which indicates that this is a direction that makes sense.

Having said that, the code is open source and public, which means that
anybody interested in improving it, fixing bugs, etc, should be able
to do so -- I would even be tempted to say, encouraged to do so. XQIB
runs on top of a cross-compilation of the MXQuery engine (Java) to
JavaScript. I believe that William Candillon also attempted a
cross-compilation of Zorba (C++, also open-source) and encountered
some encouraging success as well. I think that if somehow this work
was continued, it would of course make us all happy :-)

Kind regards,
Ghislain

Dr. Ghislain Fourny
Director of Research and Development