Re: [xml-dev] Recommend a book on algorithms for determining if aninput (that conforms to a grammar) has a specified property?

I think what are asking for would be some book on AI. Maybe you would decide whether to investigate rule-based systems (see Wikipedia entry on expert systems) or trainable systems (eg neural nets). When you decide on the rule based system, you will decide on the kind of logic to use, whether to have rule chaining, backwards or forwards.
Then you will usually decide that the easiest thing for people to.use is a rule-based system without chaining, and thence usually to schematron.