Re: [xml-dev] Best Practice: id-idref or external entities?

On 8 October 2015 at 13:06, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> What is your experience with using id-idref? Good experience? Bad experience? It seems to me that the id-idref pair has a lot of resemblances to GOTOs, which implies that it might be wise to avoid id-idref.

This seems a somewhat bizarre analogy?

with id you are preserving the notion of a _reference_ and can for
example see if multiple
places reference the same thing.

With entities (including files of some format you did not show) then
the data is essentially copied and (in most API) there is no record of
the reference.

David