Re: [xml-dev] Best Practice: id-idref or external entities?

On 8 October 2015 at 13:10, Daniela Florescu <dflorescu@mac.com> wrote:
> My personal point of view would be very simple to express: avoid them if you can.
>
> They mix very badly with XQuery and co.
>
> Best regards
> Dana

I'm not sure if you mean avoid entities here, or avoid id references?

Both have good and bad aspects with respect to XQuery/XSLT processing
it seems to me.

We use entities (internal rather than external mostly, but that's not
really relevant here) a lot precisely because they are transparent to
the XSLT/Xquery processing.

To follow id/idrefs (or xlink or any custom link like xhtml href)
requires more code at the XSLT level, although they typically help
manage other properties such as uniqueness, so as usual, the answer
depends on what you want to do....:-)

David