Re: [xml-dev] Policy people, philosophers, ethics people, peoplewith great wisdom ... What do you recommend?

I actually had this situation many years ago, but with hardware that my company was building for the US Navy. The spec wasn't easy to understand but I concluded that it meant Y, though a reading of X would work best for the customer. This was about how to pack and package (not the same) the equipment. Upon inquiry to our customer, it was agreed that X was desired. We were told that this is what the author of the spec said.

But after an official review, we were told that X was wrong and that the alternative reading Y was what the spec really did say. Apparently the author had been careless in his use of the exact words and ended up with an unintended meaning.

So we had to do Y in order to meet the spec, as we were told to do, and later after delivery we got complaints (since it didn't make sense to do Y instead of X). Finally we were able to get them to change or waive (I forget which) the requirement so we could do X after all.