Re: [xml-dev] Here’s how the Schematron program generates programs … program generating programs

At 2016-04-05 12:54 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
I encourage you to use these ideas to write your own programs that generate programs!
That XSLT is written in XML has made this possible since XSLT was released.

Rick Jelliffe was brilliant in recognizing how a language like Schematron could be used for value validation ... and he pulled it off well.

Here are two public examples of mine that were first published in 2003 for synthesizing XSLT using XSLT. In both cases the user's objective is to annotate a prototypical result instance with information about the source tree so that the environment can synthesize the XSLT needed to transform the source tree into the result tree:

http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/#literatexslt
http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/#resultxslt

After pushing the button to create the result, the output XSLT stylesheet is used in production to transform production data into production results. I've used it for creating XSL-FO stylesheets. A B2B company in Italy uses it for e-commerce. I'm not sure how many others of the many downloads get used in production as it is fairly esoteric.

LiterateXSLT is a monolithic environment where modularity is not important and the annotations are expressed directly about the source tree. ResultXSLT is a modular environment where the annotations are expressed indirectly about the source tree so that multiple different source trees can take advantage of the stylesheet fragments created for producing the result tree.

It is good of you to push concepts to new users, but these concepts are not new. Programs have long written programs ... XSLT has made it a straightforward task.

Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training @US$45: http://goo.gl/Dd9qBK |
Crane Softwrights Ltd. _ _ _ _ _ _ http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/ |
G Ken Holman _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ blog _ _ _ _ _ http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/posts |