Re: [xml-dev] Does an XML parser do DTD validation (in addition toparsing)? XML Parser = Parser + DTD Validator?

On 04/29/2016 12:26 PM, Michael Kay wrote:
> The XML specification talks of an XML Processor rather than an XML
> Parser, and I think one could argue that the XML Processor does
> parsing plus validation. The products we (inaccurately) call XML
> parsers additionally do things like tree building.

Roger, it's worth pointing out that there are also older stand-alone
(command-line) validating parsers like onsgmls and rxp, which can be
used to test the well-formedness or validity of an XML document in
isolation from any other application. When investigating faults or
failures, this can be a useful step to eliminate or identify any error
within the document itself, before digging deeper into an application.

Both of them will report¹ on well-formedness when there is no DTD
specified, or on validity if there is a DTD. I think rxp may also work
with a W3C Schema; onsgmls (as its name implies) is from DTD-only-land.

///Peter
--
¹ Or rather, not report :-) When there is no error, the response is null.