Re: [xml-dev] Converting a variety of data formats, containing various kinds of data into a common intermediate form

Do you agree with that statement? If you do, can you provide evidence that RDF is the only data model that supports such conversions in a computationally tractable manner?

The claim is clearly nonsense. However, there is some plausibility in the suggestion that the binary relational model is the theoretical ultimate in normalization of data, and thus a reasonable candidate for an Esperanto if you want to write 2*n converters rather than n^2 converters to get from anything to anything else.

(I guess I'm stubborn in calling it the binary relational model rather than the RDF model. It's just that I first came across it in 1974, in Jean-Raymond's paper on Data Semantics, about 23 years before RDF was invented, and I think we should give credit where it's due.)

Michael Kay
Saxonica