Re: [xml-dev] Converting a variety of data formats, containingvarious kinds of data into a common intermediate form

Greetings.

On 4 Oct 2016, at 18:54, Michael Kay wrote:

(I guess I'm stubborn in calling it the binary relational model rather than the RDF model. It's just that I first came across it in 1974, in Jean-Raymond's paper on Data Semantics, about 23 years before RDF was invented, and I think we should give credit where it's due.)
It seems to me (with no formal background in theoretical CS, but some practical experience of RDF), that RDF's data model is one of the least interesting things about it, on the grounds that it is at some level 'obvious' and irreducible. The only thing less interesting than the data model is RDF's syntaxes.

RDF's clevernesses appear to be firstly that it is a relational model which is adequately expressive, and reasoner-friendly by design (I half-remember being told that it was logically equivalent to Prolog, though I would become evasive if pressed on the deep significance of this); and secondly that it fits in to the semantic web layer cake [1] in a way which is integral to making the semantic web 'vision' still plausible, though still, and perhaps always, 'coming soon'.

I think that second point is deeper than it may at first seem, though detailed discussion might be tangential to xml-dev.

All the best,

Norman

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web_Stack

--