Re: [xml-dev] SGML DTDs for HTML 5.1

On 18 November 2016 at 18:22, u123724 <u123724@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you need to drop the multiple character once I'd just drop those rather than
>> give them different definitions which leads to silent corruption.
>
> Ok point taken. But what do you think of the couple entities that are
> just variation sequences of their base code points such as caps/cups
> (intersection/union) etc. These are pretty commonly used, and leaving
> out U+FE00 VARIATION SELECTOR-1 on those, for all intents and
> purposes, is equivalent to their use in variation sequences.

If you predefine them they are defined first so can't be changed by loading
other definitions so I think it would be wrong to change any of the definitions.
If you just predefine the single character ones then that covers a lot
of use cases
and anyone needing the full html set can reference htmlmathml-f.ent

Alternatively you could push for the web sgml annex to be extended to allow
multiple character definitions although I'm not sure there would be an appetite
in JTC1 to re-open that....

> Btw, do you know a recent SHORTREF map to use with MathML 3 (probably no ;).

No, shortref processing inline is pretty much replaced by some kind of
preprocessor from
a texlike syntax, whether that be latexml or tex4ht or mathjax or...

I'm not sure a new shortref syntax would help much: most existing math
editing tools
can output tex or mathml or both so just having a new syntax without
editor support
isn't a clear win.

David