Re: [xml-dev] What are the practical, negative consequences ofthinking that attributes are metadata?

I found this quote in an article by Bruce Johnson

The single biggest tradeoff and architecture question you need to answer – do you want complexity in the data or in the usage.

I agree with it.  You do not get a free lunch by using a "simpler" data format unless your domain of concern is relatively trivial.

Say you are going from a schemaful (relational or XML) persistent environment to  JSON - typically that will be in a repository optimised for scalability at the expense of consistency. The need for the  functionality embedded in the database layer, schemas, triggers, referential integrity rules etc  doesn't suddenly disappear and so the payback for "simplicity" and schemalessness is that all that functionality is going to end up in application code.

Which brings up a seldom mentioned point. JSON is a developer centric format. Who  other than a developer would want to encourage a state of affairs that requires more and more functionality to manifest as application code  and this developer centricity operates at the expense of everybody else that needs to work with the data.

Devolving the choice for the transport mechanism for ephemeral data to developers is fine because other players are largely insulated from the effects of that decision. Hence they are free to  prioritise and prefer a format that is impedance free at destination.

t is a completely different kettle of fish to devolve the decision over a persistence format to the preferences of the same community. They are not the only ones that need to work with the data, in fact they don't even own it and implementing some bastardized form of SQL in a DBMS isn't  a solution to the problems it causes.