Re: [xml-dev] Developing open business information exchange documents

Thanks again for your comprehensive and most informative response.

> So ... the model is separate from the syntax. CCTS is standalone as a modeling tool.
> A user community chooses which NDRs to use to go from the model to the syntax.

That makes sense; however, while I don't know the situation with UBL
specifically, in said address consolidation project I came across
established postal address representation schemes for XML making heavy
use of their own ad-hoc "meta" systems in XML (eg. as in <field
role="this">that</field>) which I always found to have a smell.

> Personally, I'm growing to accept that an XML schema expressed entirely
> of element content and no mixed content doesn't have benefits over a JSON schema.

That is along the lines as discussed last week here. My point was to
get an opinion of whether it's accepted that there is

- intrinsic semantic information in the formatting/presentation of
text getting lost in component representation ("fielded addresses")
unless going to extremes in preserving sequence of eg. lines and
individual tokens or vertical alignment information

- a benefit in having a document as a palpable/material manifest for a
business transaction in the digital age

These points don't focus so much on formal, grammatical, or logical
arguments as they accept a cultural "humanist/antropocentric" view
about technology and information modeling.

Also, a theoretical point could be made that, since almost any
business process requires the identification of parties/persons
(natural or otherwise), and hence address data, a data serialization
format should be equipped with semistructured data modelling
capabilities.