Re: [xml-dev] Software lock in?

On 03/22/2017 11:58 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
> https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/03/22/0535242/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware
>
> Assuming fair reporting, is this where we're going with all hw/sw
> systems?

Yes. It's a way to maximise revenue to the stockholders. Customers are
merely milch cows.

The legal position in the USA is a little different from elsewhere,
according to some reports I have read, because apparently land vehicles
were given an exemption from DMCA control of the maintenance and
modification procedures, meaning it is now again legal to do your own
maintenance or have a local engineer do it, and this is being fought by
the manufacturers on the largely bogus grounds that it is an
environmental hazard (fiddling with your injector may increase emissions).

Given that hardly any automotive documentation is in XML (or even SGML)
any more ("too hard"), it's probably moot for this group, unless we want
to start a user-supported tractor-documentation project :-)

///Peter