Re: [xml-dev] Software lock in?

On 03/23/2017 10:39 PM, Gareth Oakes wrote:
[...]
> For the record, many automotive and heavy equipment manufacturers author and
> originate documentation in XML formats. This includes production of artefacts
> such as service manuals, operator manuals, and parts catalogues. My personal
> experience of this extends to top-tier companies such as Toyota, Mazda, GM,

I'm happy to hear this...my information was that European car makers
were no longer using XML in manual production.

> John Deere, Caterpillar, Komatsu, Boeing, Airbus, defence organisations

I was limiting my comment to regular auto manufacturers.

> The primary reasons they use XML are:
> - Content reuse (many similar manuals due to large variety of equipment configurations)
> - Consistency and precision of output (automated publishing)
> - Language translations (facilitated via XLIFF)

This may be the reason that some end-user manuals for European cars have
deteriorated in accuracy over recent years.

///Peter