Re: [xml-dev] n-Queens Problem

If you use an easier markup, for example

<n-queens>
 <q c="1" r="3"/>
 <q c="2" r="1"/>
 <q c="3" r="4"/>
 <q c="4" r="2"/>
</n-queens>

which denotes your board with 4 queens in the specified row and
column, then I think the following single xpath works for any size
board and evaluates to true if  every column has a queen, every row
has a queen and the number of distinct  falling and rising diagonals
with a queen equals the number of queens.

<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>

 <xsl:template match="n-queens">
  <xsl:sequence select="
  (every $c in 1 to count(q) satisfies exists(q[@c=$c])) and
  (every $r in 1 to count(q) satisfies  exists(q[@r=$r])) and
  count(q)=count(distinct-values(q/(number(@r) - number(@c)))) and
  count(q)=count(distinct-values(q/(number(@r) + number(@c))))
   "/>
 </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

you could easily make that into a schematron assertion.