Re: [xml-dev] Re: German lesson

Henry S. Thompson: "I would actually claim that just about the whole XML tool chain has
this property, and the recognition of the centrality of the concept of
the Infoset in 2001 was the key point at which this was recognised."

True! And this fact only hightens the poignancy of the question when targeted at languages and technologies *beyond* the XML tool chain. The point I am driving at is whether or not XML technology has discovered a new formula of tremendous generality, merging resources, values and expressions into a single coherent whole - unprecedented, unparalleled.

Consider the history of object orientation, another formula of tremendous generality: discovered in the sixties (SIMULA 67), little noticed and understood until another language assimilated the gist (C, becoming C++). A possible course of future events: the principles of XQuery (XML technology) will at some time in the future be assimilated by another language, which is the time when they become widely appreciated and understood. Only few people will know that the discoveries apparently made by the Foo language have in fact been made by XQuery 07 (XML technology).

Henry S. Thompson <ht@markup.co.uk> schrieb am 19:32 Sonntag, 9.April 2017:

Hans-Juergen Rennau <hrennau@yahoo.de> writes:

> So is there any other functional programming language with a value
> model capturing the concept of a resource as XQuery does (with its
> node model), rather than continuing to think in terms of maps and
> arrays and objects into which resource contents must be translated
> in order to be processed?

I would actually claim that just about the whole XML tool chain has
this property, and the recognition of the centrality of the concept of
the Infoset in 2001 was the key point at which this was recognised.  I
wrote a bunch about this around that time, see e.g.

  _The XML Meta-Architecture_
  XML DevCon, London, 2001-02-21
  http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/XML_MetaArchitecture.html

ht

--
            Henry S. Thompson, Markup Systems Ltd.
              Cavers Garden Farm, Denholm; by Hawick; TD9 8LN