Re: [xml-dev] XMON

On Thu, 2017-05-04 at 12:26 +0000, Ghislain  Fourny wrote:

[...]
> One aspect of parent pointers is that a parent node then “owns” its
> children exclusively (1 to n rather than n to m relationships in the
> subsuming graph). This was at the core of the discussions in the
> design of XQuery 3.1 and is one of the aspects that distinguishes it
> from JSONiq.

This always interested me because in XML in the presence of entities
it's not necessarily true, and not all XML data models have used the
view that an element can only appear once in a document. One
interpretation of
<!ENTITY sock "<sock>black</sock>">
 . . .
&sock;&sock;
is that I have two separate distinct sock elements, and another is that
I have a single sock element that appears twice. I've seen both
interpretations in actual commercial (and open source) software.

[...]
> There is no right
> or wrong, only decisions motivated by use cases.
For sure.

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>