Re: [xml-dev] XMON

Oh, yes I certainly read both of them. I try to read every paper you give.

I guess the difference is that my XML parts are XML and my JSON parts are JSON. To me, the XSLT JSON/XML exchange reeks of the same problem that XSD had: it tried to solve a syntax problem by larding on concepts and markup. Which is not to predict failure, at all.

That is why I think an extended DOM/XDM is necessary, the ideal approach for XSLT  for  this kind of thing is for XPath to add a special axis for accessing unnamed 'elements' (if it is JSON as content in XML,) or unnamed 'attibutes' (for XMON syntax.)

The proper treatment of JSON isn't to convert it to elements. It is to convert it to structs (are arrays and maps...fine) but then to be able to step through them with XPath, surely. Abbreviated syntax is the glory of XSLT. (Apologize yet again if XPath does indeed have an axis and node types to drill from an element into a JSON expression: I mean a node type and abbreviation not a function.  For example,
  /top//container/#[1]//taxnumber
Where # means an embedded JSON struct and the second // is operating in JSON only.

Regard
Rick