Re: [xml-dev] xml:base and fragments

On May 10, 2017, at 8:52 AM, John Cowan <johnwcowan@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Andrew S. Townley <ast@atownley.org> wrote:

>> You’re right.  The specification doesn’t say anything about
>> retrieval other than if the relative and base URI resolve to the
>> same base URI, then dereferencing “should not” result in a new
>> retrieval action.

> Note that that "should not" is in lower case: it is not an RFC 2119
> requirement.

Sigh.

Is there something in RFC 2119 that says the keywords must be
uppercased?  I didn’t find it.  It’s common practice, but if it’s
required, where is the requirement stated?

In RFC 3986, I see no uppercased words; I don’t believe that that
shows it to have no normative content.

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC
cmsmcq@blackmesatech.com