Re: AW: [xml-dev] Need a language whiz: An XML Schema "specifies" howdata is to be structured? "describes"? "constrains"?

FWIW, I draw the distinction conceptually but not verbally: I tend to think of the process of "validation" as not producing a binary, pass/fail result. It may do that, but in addition, there may be other advisory (warning/info etc) messages that require further judgement or intervention.
In my experience, this is more prevalent with human-authored content, and the further judgement supplied by content experts.
In a publishing context, for instance, the pass/fail level of error can provide a measure of what is too broken to publish. The remainder, graded e.g. by their severity level and/or frequency of occurrence, help the human operator gauge and prioritise what needs fixing.