Re: [xml-dev] Need a language whiz: An XML Schema "specifies" howdata is to be structured? "describes"? "constrains"?

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 1:59 AM, Frank Steimke <f-steimke@berger-und-steimke.de> wrote:

It means: decide whether you will accept or reject the message. This
decision is of course based on the result of validation. It should be easy
if there are no validation errors (you are obliged to accept), but in case
of validation errors, you are not always obliged to reject. Assessment
basically means: can we accept a message although it is not valid?

As Liam says, any process that works for you is a good process.  But it seems to me that this is only half of assessment: if a document is valid, you may still decide to reject it for any of a variety of reasons:

1. The document contains a country code of US and an associated postal code of 21347.  This is valid, as U.S. postal codes are five digits, but it so happens that 21347 is not assigned.

2. The document contains a city "New York, NY" and an associated postal code of 19124.  Both are correct independently, but the postal code refers to Philadelphia rather than New York City.

3. The document has an addressee who no longer works for the company receiving the document.

4. The document, while perfectly correct in itself, is a job application for a job that has been filled.

--
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
My confusion is rapidly waxing