RE: [xml-dev] Is the XML Schema for XML Digital Signatures needed?

At 2018-07-27 20:03 +0000, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> if something claims that it's signed,
> we should just accept that.

Ah, that's an interesting point. A digsig tool might not produce a correctly formatted <ds:Signature> and therefore it would be useful to validate the <ds:Signature> against the digsig XML Schema.
As part of a post-mortem, yes.

How might that be useful before being checked? If the tool does not produce a correctly-formatted signature, the signature-checking logic would throw a sufficient error that you would rightly not trust the signature or the signed document.

In my own experience with DigSig, I've never needed to use DigSig XML Schema except in a post-mortem after an abend. As long as the signature is checked without any errors, I've never been worried about schema validation.

That said, I have included DigSig in the UBL schema tree. Some UBL users may want to validate their entire document after their tools have created it and before they send it. Some enter into commitments of schema validity before transmission.

You started off this thread with a lot of what I thought was obvious, DigSig schema is useful probably only in a post-mortem. It isn't even useful in authoring, because I'm not about to generate a DigSig by hand. The available tools handle generation and checking.

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/ |
Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training class @ US$45 (5 hours free) |