=?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_=5Bxml=2Ddev=5D_Don=E2=80=99t_create_elements_with_simple_co?==?UTF-8?Q?ntent_and_attributes?=

No because by making Currency and Amount elements you are implying that they could potentially have substructures on their own.
Absent a schema prohibiting otherwise the content model for cost permits multiple Currency and Amount child elements.

This may in fact be right because there could be an amount for each Currency but that then implies an immediate preceding sibling arrangement except that the content model of Cost doesn't prohibit the Amount preceding Currency - what then.

For all these reasons you eliminate the need for a schema to clarify all these questions by representing as

<Cost currency="USD" amount="8.95"/>

QED.