Re: [xml-dev] XQuery 2019 IMap

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:23 PM Liam R. E. Quin <liam@fromoldbooks.org> wrote:

> Possible ways forward include a W3C community group, if you want to be
> able to reawaken the XQuery Working Group (and presumably the XSLT
> Working Group); an external-to-W3C organization (Oasis? or something
> ad-hoc?).

Reflecting on the work on XSLT, the XSLT 3.0 Specification stopped
short "in the middle of the road" and there are a number of unfinished
or new language features that would follow naturally, hadn't the WG
been abruptly dissolved. Just to name a few:
 -  Streaming is implemented only on input documents but not on
output/intermediate ones
 -  Tuples
 -  Type aliases
 -  Concurrency

Even if Saxon could provide some of these as future extensions, this
would reflect a single-minded point of view -- far from a rounded and
thoughtful result of the clashes of minds emerging from different
perspectives.

We need a continued standardization effort -- be it in W3C or within
another body -- in order to bring the work to its logical, complete
and beautiful ending.

The current situation reminds us that any tool, such as Divide and
Conquer, can be used not only for reaching positive outcomes.

Cheers,
Dimitre

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev