Re: [xml-dev] XQuery 2019 IMap

On Sat, 2019-01-05 at 19:21 -0800, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
> Reflecting on the work on XSLT, the XSLT 3.0 Specification stopped
> short "in the middle of the road" and there are a number of
> unfinished
> or new language features that would follow naturally, hadn't the WG
> been abruptly dissolved. Just to name a few:
>  -  Streaming is implemented only on input documents but not on
> output/intermediate ones
>  -  Tuples
>  -  Type aliases
>  -  Concurrency

For sure. But again, if there had been, say, twenty organizations
sending people to meetings, doing active work, participating, i expect
it would not have closed.

To get there today, it'd need to appeal to a broader range of uses... i
don't mean, it'd need to be able to address a broader range of use
cases, as it's already astonishingly broad. I mean, people not working
with XML would need to glance at it and say, Oh, i see why i want this.

Neither am i suggesting moving away from XML, but rather to open up
what some might call a broader communion.

Many of the Web people who were so hostile to XML have moved on, so it
might well be time for them to discover a new world - as Freg Goudy was
reported to have said, the old guys stole all our best ideas.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightulcomputing.com/
Available for XML/Document/Information Architecture/