Re: [xml-dev] Understanding the scope of XML catalog

I actually pulled the RNG schemas out of the UBL 2.2 release as we had no evidence that they were ever used in UBL 2.1:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.1/UBL-2.1.html#S-UBL-2.1-RELAX-NG-SCHEMAS

This was consistent with the concept of publishing multiple alternative non-normative representations of the normative semantic library and normative XML schemas. The semantic library is described using the Core Component Technical Specification (CCTS) 2.01 from UN/CEFACT. UBL uses the OASIS Naming and Design Rules to create various schema semantic expressions of the document constraints.

And so I also pulled the ASN.1 schemas out of UBL 2.2, but we still have demand for those, and so those are now separately published (and currently under review):

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201902/msg00020.html

As there has been zero demand for us to publish UBL 2.2 in RELAX-NG, I think I was justified in removing it. We can always publish a new committee note if needed.

This semantic library in CCTS approach also allows us to publish a JSON alternative representation of the UBL semantics, and this also has been used and we have had good feedback ... the latest for Draft07 of JSON is under review:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-ndrsc/201811/msg00000.html

What is different about NVDL is that I could include the one NVDL fragment in each of the xsd/ and xsdrt/ subdirectories of the distribution in order to despatch the validation to the normative XSD schemas. That "feels" different to me than offering an alternative set of validation semantics.

. . . . . Ken