Re: [xml-dev] Re: [ANN] XSLT 1.0 and XPath 1.0 were published on 16Nov 1999

DSSSL is the direct ancestor of XSL including XSLT; its expression language is a pure functional variety of Scheme with some extensions.  See <http://www.jclark.com/dsssl/>.

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 5:57 AM Hans-Juergen Rennau <hrennau@yahoo.de> wrote:
Interesting, Marcus, but I have a question: is there a predecessor based on a pure and fully composeable expression language so that (a) navigation is an expression from that language, (b) any expression of the language can be used as a predicate? Note that any increase of the language's expressiveness (e.g. adding new expressions, extending existing expressions) becomes an increase of navigational expressiveness.

(The image that always comes to my mind is water embedded in water, water within and without, separated only by the transparent skin of path expression syntax - but that may be idiosyncratic.)

Am Sonntag, 17. November 2019, 10:20:26 MEZ hat Marcus Reichardt <u123724@gmail.com> Folgendes geschrieben:

Well, idioyncracies of XPath such as namespaces and filter predicates left aside, the idea of XPath starts from encoding documents into graphs of axis relations and then answering variable-free conjunctive path queries over those graphs, and as such is at least as old as terminological reasoning and description logic (no later than 1990), but arguably only slightly younger than Prolog/Datalog (1972) and at least as old as eg. monadic second-order logic (1975 or older).

As applied to document engineering, I haven't been around long enough to have an opinion, but I can say that HyTime (1992, 1997) encoded path steps in location ladders (in markup/markup declarations) rather than compact expressions, probably to avoid ad-hoc syntax. Modern TEI uses XPointer (and hence also XPath), but TEI predates XML and I have no idea how TEI was like in the 1990s.

Marcus Reichardt