Re: [xml-dev] The Goals of XML at 25, and the one thing that XML now needs

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 5:51 PM Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe@allette.com.au> wrote:

For example, say we added to XML simple typing by delimiters like this

 <a b="xyz"   c=123 d=false  e=R23456 >...

where b is a string, c is a number, d is boolean and e is a symbol.

So which is actually simpler: implementing/understanding current XML with an XML schema, or this extended XML syntax which is trivial and conventional to parse?

I think your suggestion, <a b="xyz"   c=123 d=false  e=R23456 > is nice and the corresponding interpretation.

But XML schemas offer useful functionality, I believe. For e.g, consider following XSD user defined datatype,

<xs:simpleType name="IntRange">
    <xs:restriction base="xs:integer">
          <xs:minInclusive value="5"/>
          <xs:maxInclusive value="10"/>
    <xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

I think, such XSD facilities offer useful functionality, and have a ready appeal.

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi