=?UTF-8?Q?Re:_[xml-dev]_The_Goals_of_XML_at_25,_and_the_one_thing_that_X?==?UTF-8?Q?ML_now_needs?=

I'm not sure that pom.xml is a good use of XML... but at the end of the day, maybe groovy isn't either!

IMHO the biggest mistake is thinking that any *one* syntax will solve for every use case. Markdown is great for simple documents, but pretty horrible for complex documents. JSON is great for ad-hoc interchange, not so great for RPC or documents. XML is pretty good as a document archival/interchange format, not so great for RPC/data interchange (unless it's text heavy). S-expressions are nice for exchanging little expressions (vs JSON AST serializations/query languages), etc. etc.

The one thing I do see a lot of is trying to jam a round peg into  square hole, or a square peg into a round hole based on dogma: there are some really monstrous JSON uses out there (and I've been guilty of a few). The sad fact is that a lot of technology adoption is driven by popularity contests, not informed decisions.

One thing I find amusing is that some modern browser frameworks are kind of reinventing generic markup, and in a very convoluted way. That's why I do wonder about XML in the browser... maybe a subset as Rick suggests, maybe not, but there are a lot of use-cases that could still be met (and yes, I am familiar with XAML, XUL et al).