Re: [xml-dev] What is the relationship between transforming, mapping,and filtering?

Dear Roger and Mike,

In the context of large scale query processing, for example Apache Spark, "map" and "filter" are two kinds of transformations, in other words, "transformation" is a generic term for "atoms" of lazily and "parallely" evaluated, intermediate-level queries that act on RDDs (intermediate data that is partitioned over a cluster). There are many other transformations such as flatMap, sort, group, etc and even binary ones (join, etc).

In XQuery, they "kind of" correspond to FLWOR clauses (let "maps" input tuples to output tuples, where "filters", etc) with a more complete correspondence described in [1].

Kind regards,
Ghislain
[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1910.11582.pdf