Re: [xml-dev] How long before services sending/receiving XML mightneed replacement?

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 11:37 AM Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

Sort of?  I don't see "serialization format" locked into the question:

"If, say, governments currently require data or documents to be sent to them in XML format, what professional advice"

API development isn't necessarily about object serialization.  In particular, a lot of REST and HATEOAS is more open than that.  A lot of explicitly document XML documents are assembled by computers, meant to be sent over the wire, and even provoke meaningful responses from machines.

Thanks,
Simon

Seems like we are understanding the question differently.

To me "software systems communicating with each other (one-way or two-way) using XML" is about the encoding technique/protocol used to pass data from one system to another, and this may have nothing to do with the meaning of that data or how the receiver will treat it after it arrives and has been decoded.

And if the data that is being communicated doesn't have an inherently hierarchical structure/meaning/grouping, then it is quite possible that something else, other than XML would be the best choice of expressing that data even to a human reader.

As for "perpetuity", we have some good examples of dead languages that are still in use today:

Latin, Sanskrit, Biblical Hebrew, Middle English, Old Slavonic, Pali, and Armaic, ...

Actually, support for XML in modern development environments seems to be stalled. See the thread in response to this (https://app.slack.com/client/T011VK9115Z/C011NLXE4DU) in xml.com Slack, about the lack of adequate support for creating and editing XML in VS Code.

Just days ago at the .NET 2021 Conference, when a presenter was asked if it was still possible to serialize as XML, as an alternative to JSON-based serialization, his reaction was: "Do we really want to go back in time to the start of this century?" and then reluctantly showing that "even this" is possible.

These are the facts.

Based on these facts there could be several possible scenarios for the future, and here is one that is not too rosy:
Facts like these indicate that it would be more difficult for the average data professional in the future to create and process data in XML format, due to deteriorating or lacking tools.
This could impact the status of XML as a widely used standard for use in expressing data. Maybe less and less people will know what XML is. What is the average age of the members of this mailing list, or of xsl-list, or Balisage or any other XML-oriented conference? How has this average age changed in the last 20 years?

I am not saying that the above scenario is firmly bound to happen, just that we shouldn't be surprised.

More importantly, what can we do in order to prevent any such worst-case scenario from happening?

Just my 2c. thoughts contribution...

On 11/11/2021 2:14 PM, Dimitre Novatchev wrote:
>  I can't say that XML's use WILL be perpetual, but I definitely think that it's reasonable that it COULD be perpetual.

The original question is not about whether XML will stop to be used in general, but whether or not its use as a serialization format will disappear.

I believe that the main goals and use-cases for XML were not at all being a serialization format, even though it also achieved this. To be fair, very few human beings (if any at all) are sniffing the wires under a microscope, thus it isn't at all an issue whether or not any human-readable serialization format would/should be used for serialization -- we don't care.

If something like God exists (no offense intended for stronger believers), they would probably be watching network messages and understanding their contents, regardless of the actual serialization format being used. Maybe they have long ago established their own standard (reminds me somehow of "Invisible XML" :)   )?

Thanks,
Dimitre