Re: [xml-dev] How long before services sending/receiving XML mightneed replacement?

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 3:45 PM Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually, support for XML in modern development environments seems to be stalled. See the thread in response to this (https://app.slack.com/client/T011VK9115Z/C011NLXE4DU) in xml.com Slack, about the lack of adequate support for creating and editing XML in VS Code.

Just days ago at the .NET 2021 Conference, when a presenter was asked if it was still possible to serialize as XML, as an alternative to JSON-based serialization, his reaction was: "Do we really want to go back in time to the start of this century?" and then reluctantly showing that "even this" is possible.

These are the facts.

The original question was concise enough to restate which I will do since it framed my original response.

"If, say, governments currently require data or documents to be sent to them in XML format, what professional advice would you suggest about how long would be reasonable before this use of XML should be replaced?"

For better or for worse (and I say worse) FOMO thrives in Govt IT and tme and money is devoted to looking at every shiny object the tech world comes up with.
People like Mr .Net 2021 are involved in govt IT, if not as govt employees then certainly as employees of their contractors.
Anybody can scoff at a conference but talk is cheap and that kind of talk will not pass muster in a government IT proposal.

I cannot and do not speak to what the startup world etc is doing but this is what I would say in response.

JSON is 15 years old now, That's plenty of time for there to have been (at the very least) a successful pilot of an XML replacement project in govt IT.
Ain't heard of one yet.
Show us the money.