Re: [xml-dev] It's too late to improve XML ... lessons learned?

The other major influence is the "network" effect.  For TCP/IP, it was easier and cheaper to use than Token Ring, so it crept into more places faster and once that happened it made no sense to have multiple standards.  The same thing happened with JSON; _javascript_ became widely available on the browser, so using some _javascript_ like datatype to work with the server was extremely compelling.  Once that happened why use another data format to connect your server to other servers?  You already had something that worked well enough for data transport.  The major difference here is that XML and JSON can coexist much easier than TCP/IP and Token Ring so it wasn't an all or nothing victory in the case of JSON.

The network effect also helps explain why we haven't seen much evolution in XML even where it is established.  Unless the changes can be backwards compatible it usually impacts your entire ecosystem to make a change, it's rarely a point to point change and even when it is, you have to own both sides of the data exchange to make it happen.  Yes, API versioning happens all the time, but this is much deeper, you can't just add another endpoint, you've got to have frameworks designed to support multiple serializers and in the world where XML grew up that was extremely rare.  At least until JSON came along, but now you've got JSON so who needs another version of XML? The XML serializer is there just to talk to that old mainframe in the corner that nobody is ever going to touch...

Peter Hunsberger