=?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_=5Bxml=2Ddev=5D_RE=3A_The_semantics_of_an_XML_document_i?==?UTF-8?Q?s_=E2=80=A6?=

Still a great and highly relevant article.  JSON now occupies ASN.1's niche for new development, I think.  But when you need more data types than JSON provides and a binary representation with a textual equivalent, then schemaless ASN.1 BER is actually not bad, especially for use in dynamic languages: see <https://github.com/s-expressions/twinjo/blob/master/spec/Twinjo.md>.