Re: [xml-dev] markup humility

On Tue, 2022-02-22 at 10:03 +0000, Norman Gray wrote:

> >  Neither do i.  However, the Semantic Web didn't ought to go on to
> >  encourage reasoning based on the "fact" without also remembering
> > who
> >  asserted it and in what context.
>
> One rejoinder to that is that 'the Semantic Web' doesn't do any
> reasoning (I know this isn't quite what you said)

"Guns don't kill, people do" - but they enable power without immediate
sanction.

> I heartily agree with you that 'who asserted it and in what context'
> is vitally important, because a statement could mean different things
> in different contexts, and it's important for the SW to respect
> that.  But doesn't the idea of the quad-store do that already?

It helps, but isn't necessarily preserved in e.g. sparql results or
turtl.  Some stores use six items per triple, some just have an
arbitrary cluster.  Recognising that three isn't sufficient is one part
of what's needed.

Thanks,

Liam

--