Re: [xml-dev] The impact of data format selection on applicationdevelopment

Hi Roger!

On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 12:56:22 +0000
Roger L Costello <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> Hello Norman, Michael, and Mukul,
>
> Excellent comments! You have given me a lot to chew on. Thank you.
>
> As I understand it, in the Unix philosophy if a simple data format needs to
> be modified, just create a new simple data format. Since it's a simple data
> format, it's easy to quickly create new tools and/or adapt existing tools. If
> the old data format is no longer needed, discard it.
>
> My colleague pointed me to the Unix philosophy, which I really like:
>
>         - Make each program do one thing well. To do a new job, build afresh
> rather than complicate old programs by adding new "features".
>
>         - Expect the output of every program to become the input to another,
> as yet unknown, program. Don't clutter output with extraneous information.
> Avoid stringently columnar or binary input formats. Don't insist on
> interactive input.
>
>         - Design and build software, even operating systems, to be tried
> early, ideally within weeks. Don't hesitate to throw away the clumsy parts
> and rebuild them.
>
>         - Use tools in preference to unskilled help to lighten a programming
> task, even if you have to detour to build the tools and expect to throw some
> of them out after you've finished using them.
>
>         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

For the flip side, see:
http://shlomifishswiki.branchable.com/Unix_Philosophy_of_One_Tool_for_One_Job/

"one tool for one job" and avoiding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep
are guidelines rather than gospel/dogma.

> Comments?
>
> /Roger

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/C-and-CPP/bad-elements/

SGlau: Sounds really crazy. Are you sure you’re OK?
SMG: No, I’m not. My secret for success was that I was never completely sane,
heh.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Summerschool-at-the-NSA/