Re: [xml-dev] Is XML a language or a data format?

“When I use a word,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

If you want to use the word "data format" to mean "a grammar that isn't defined using BNF and that isn't recursive" then you are welcome to do so. But I don't think you'll find it's a universally-accepted definition; and you'll find plenty of things that people call data formats that ARE recursive. In fact, a quick google gets among its top hits "the most common data formats found in modern APIs are JSON and XML".

It's not at all unusual for words to be used in a fuzzy way. By all means continue to do so if you wish. But please accept that unless you define your terms rigorously and precisely, your question "Is XML a language or a data format" doesn't have a binary answer.

Michael Kay
Saxonica