Re: [xml-dev] It is okay for things to break in the future!

An important clarification on the “I Guess Everyone’s Perspective”: it’s possible to model the world, but not so accurately that validations that are likely to break the model - and these kinds of validation are far more common than most people first assume.

In other words, our models are far more approximate than we would like to think they are.

By all means model the world - after all, that is essentially what we all do for a living - but be aware that our models are just that, and don’t make our models inflexible, and thus brittle. Make them as generous as it is possible to make them whilst still making them useful models for whatever our purposes are.

So instead of making an inflexible, and thus brittle model, and thus an inflexible and thus brittle ecosystem, make the model generous and build a robust, fault-tolerant ecosystem that does not break when it gets unexpected data.

One thing we’ve learnt in the past 20 years (or nearly 40, if you remember the Morris worm, etc) is that f you don’t design and build your ecosystem to be able to intelligently handle unexpected data then you are designing and building in security vulnerabilities, never mind limitations on the ecosystem’s usefulness.

Cheers,

Damian