Re: [xml-dev] RE: XML Turing test

On Tue, 2023-02-14 at 14:56 +0000, Roger L Costello wrote:

> Conclusion: it doesn't matter how you map one XML to another. If they
> both elicit the same response in applications, then the mapping is
> correct/equivalent. By definition.
> Do you agree?

Equivalence is context-dependent. That is, two things can be equivalent
by one criterion but not another.

In the case of your example, your behavioural semantics are the same as
far as you have determined. But there might be other uses for the
information.

If I give you an ebook made of scanned page images, it might look the
same in a particular reader as if i gave you an ebook with text in it,
and you'd be happy, until you tried to search, or tried to increase the
font size.

Peake</i> might both display in Italic in your Web browser, so there's
a sense in which they are equivalent.

XML lives in the boundary between human knowledge and computer-
accessible information, so to give computer behaviour priority over
human understanding is often a mistake.

liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/