Re: [xml-dev] RE: XML Turing test

On 2/14/2023 9:56 AM, Roger L Costello wrote:
Hi Folks,

An engineer mapped this XML form:

<Document>
    <Pencil_Manufacturer>______</Pencil_Manufacturer>
</Document>

to this XML form:

<Document>
    <Umbrella_Manufacturer>______</Umbrella_Manufacturer>
</Document>

That’s a bizarre mapping, right?

Let’s not be so quick to judge.

The allowable values of Pencil_Manufacturer are: Staedtler, Faber, and Camlin.

The allowable values of Umbrella_Manufacturer are: Totes, Pogessi, and Dynateck.

The engineer mapped the values as follows:

Staedtler --> Totes
Faber --> Pogessi
Camlin --> Dynateck

Question: Is that a correct mapping? Are the two forms equivalent?

It seems preposterous to even consider the two forms as equivalent. After all, how can a document containing data about pencil manufacturers be equivalent to a document containing data about umbrella manufacturers?

Possibly it’s not so preposterous.

What does it mean for two forms to be equivalent? Certainly they are not equivalent with regard to string comparison:

“pencil-manufacterer” != “umbrella-manufacturer”

How about semantic equivalence? Intuitively we all know that pencils are not the same as umbrellas.

And yet, the applications that process the two forms produce the same output. In my example I said that both applications output 1, 2, 3, but the output could be something far more complex, such as outputs that control the flight of an aircraft.

If this form:

<Document>
    <Pencil_Manufacturer>______</Pencil_Manufacturer>
</Document>

and this form:

<Document>
    <Umbrella_Manufacturer>______</Umbrella_Manufacturer>
</Document>

are input into an aircraft’s Flight Management System (FMS) and both result in the aircraft flying the same way, are the two forms equivalent?

From the perspective of how they influence the application (aircraft FMS) they are the same.

From the perspective of semantics they are different.

From the perspective of syntax they are different.

Conclusion: it doesn’t matter how you map one XML to another. If they both elicit the same response in applications, then the mapping is correct/equivalent. By definition.

Do you agree?
You keep mixing up names, strings, and semantics. Usually what matters is the relationship between names and their values. You seem to assume that your names carry a lot of meaning, but you don't say what that meaning is, nor the relationship between the names and string values.

If I have an element in an XML document whose value is "north", and another - maybe in another document - whose value is "nord", do you imagine you can feed those strings into a flight controller as is? No, there must be some means to connect those values with a direction in a form that the controller can make use of. Who cares if they are called a "pencil" or an "umbrella" or a "direction"? It's the mapping to their meaning, the semantics, that matters.

For that matter, from your examples we can't tell if e.g., "north" means "fly at 0 deg true direction", "fly at 0 deg magnetic direction", "fly to some destination that is currently to our north", "you are currently flying without turning at 0 deg true", or something else.

So yes, if the relationships between the elements and values of two documents are the same, and if you have a mapping for each to the desired semantics of the consuming system, then fine, the two can be considered to be equivalent, *for that purpose*.

Things aren't usually specified that completely, though.