Re: [xml-dev] Please stop writing specifications that cannot beparsed/processed by software

Hi B Tommie,

On Fri, 26 May 2023 08:00:43 -0400
B Tommie Usdin <btusdin@mulberrytech.com> wrote:

> > On May 26, 2023, at 5:51 AM, Marcus Reichardt <u123724@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a hard time imagining "standard writers“ (if there’s such a species)
> > who haven’t heard of XML at this point.
>
> There is such a species. Actually, there are really 2 such species; with
> significantly different characteristics, and neither of which is guaranteed
> to have heard of XML.
>
>  - The vast majority of the world's standards are written as a volunteer
> effort by subject matter experts: engineers, mechanics, materials physicists,
>    mechanics, biochemists, physicians, and other people with highly technical
>    expertise in areas totally unrelated to the encoding of computer readable
>    documents.
>
>    These people are often barely literate in the use of word processors and
>    if they have heard of XML are more likely to think of machine-to-machine
>    information exchange than prose documents.

I have a hypothesis that such wilfully-ignorant, non-geeky, non-hackery, people
are becoming less influential, less attractive, and rarer:

https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/philosophy/putting-cards-on-the-table-2019-2020/indiv-nodes/selling-for-stupider-ppl.xhtml

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://github.com/shlomif/validate-your-html - Validate Your HTML

Summer Glau can lead a horse to water, and then it will drink out of its
own volition.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Summer-Glau/